Do you know what to do in the case of an accident? Watch as Eric Moffitt explains exactly what you need to know when an accident occurs.Posted by MHJ Insurance on Thursday, June 27, 2019
In the state of Missouri auto owners are required to have insurance on their vehicle. But do you know what to do in the event you need to use that insurance? Here are some things you need to keep in-mind if you have an accident;
- first ensure your personal safety and the safety of others at the accident scene. If anyone needs medical attention, contact your local EMS.
- next, be aware of scene of the accident. If you are on private property, like a store parking lot, local law enforcement may not respond. In this instance it is up to you to collect information. If, you are on public roads, it’s a good idea to contact the authorities so that they can file a report.
- you should exchange relevant information with others at the scene, such as contact information for each person involved, driver’s license information, and insurance policy details. A good idea is to take a picture of the insurance id card of all involved and keep it for your files.
- also get the names and contact information of any witnesses. And do get the badge number of any law enforcement officer who came to the scene.
When you contact your agent, it is helpful if you can provide the following information;
- the name, address and telephone number for any other drivers and vehicle occupants involved in the accident.
- the insurance policy information for any other drivers.
- know which law enforcement agency responded to the accident, for example, city police department, county sheriff, or state highway patrol. Also, have and the date, time and place of the accident. If you have a copy of an accident report, that too is helpful.
Not having this information can delay the claim’s process. Also, law enforcement will likely not get this information for you. So, you will need to obtain this for yourself.
If you need to report a claim over a weekend, most companies have a call number to report. However, MHJ Insurance is a full-service agency and our staff can get the claim process started to get you back on the road as soon as possible.